Monday, August 30, 2010

Mission Trip To Johannesburg, South Africa Part 2: What God Taught Me The First Two Days.

The first afternoon there was pretty uneventful. We had alot of time to get settled and meet people and shower and stuff.
Mostly, I tried to get settled.
I didn't want to meet people while I was so mopey and upset about my luggage. I wasn't myself. And I wanted them to meet the happy Gracie. So I sat in my bedroom, wrote in my prayer journal, and cried.
I felt pretty sorry for myself.
And Mandie, who hadn't slept since who knows when sat there and endured all of my tears. Not only that, but she was sweet and loving and encouraging despite the condition that she was in. She even tried to help me call my mom with her phone, but it wasn't working right.
In other words, Mandie is awesome.
I was writing in my prayer journal and telling God just exactly how miserably upset I was. I was complaining about missing luggage, a headache, the cold weather, the fact that Mandie's phone wouldn't call Mom, and how I couldn't find my joy anywhere.
But as I was writing all this to God, I realized something. I realized how ridiculously selfish I was being. And how foolish. I was telling Him how I didn't want them to take me to get clothes and stuff that I needed. I said I wanted my own things. Stubborn, foolish, selfish, sinful Gracie. How pitiful is it that I am so very attached to my earthly belongings that I became this upset when I was without them!?
Finally, we got up to go meet people. There were a bunch of people standing outside the dining area. So, we went and started talking to people. I started to learn this stomp and clap dance thing, which was pretty fun and definitely harder than it looked! I still don't quite have it right...
Next, we had our first supper in Africa. I was kinda nervous. I didn't know what to expect. I had never had African food before. And I didn't know what they ate in Africa.
We ended up eating some noodles with meatballs and peppers. With a weird kind of sweet sauce. I didn't really eat too very much of it. I'm a rather picky eater. It's a shame, really. But, I'm doing much better than I was a few years ago. I tried everything even though it looked weird. Alot of other people liked it, though!
It was soooo cold in the dining room. And I was still wearing my dress that I'd traveled in the past few days with only my thin black cardigan. I was shivering and bouncing because I was trying to stay warm! It wasn't working, so Heath let me borrow his jacket. It was awfully thoughtful of him. Otherwise, I might have frozen.
We had our first worship service, heard a little more about what we'd be doing there, and watched a video about Nelson Mandella and things that happened with the Apartheid so we would know more about South Africa's history and culture. I feel awful, but the truth is, I don't remember that video at all. It's because I kinda fell asleep. I promise, I tried my very very hardest to stay awake, but it was impossible. And for the record, I wasn't the only one. I don't think there was a single person in there who didn't fall asleep! Remember, we'd been traveling since 6:00 Sunday morning! And it was Tuesday night. It was way past time for rest!
After the video, I finally got to take a shower!! Ahhh, it felt amazing. People gave me the things I needed. Mandie had shampoo and a towel. Chelsi had pajamas.
I was ok.
I was fine. I realized that I just needed to trust God. I had absolutely no reason not to. I had started this journey last fall. When I first decided to come. And God provided $4000. I can trust Him. He provided wonderful people to get to know before and on the way to Africa. I can trust Him. He got me and the other IWC team there safely. I can trust Him. He was providing for my needs, the things I didn't have. I can trust Him.
There was a reason for me losing my luggage. I needed to find joy in things that were not, well...things!
After I was all warm and clean I snuggled into my very own sleeping bag and my soft polka dot blanket (the only personal belongings that had made the flight!) and passed out. I slept so, so good.
When morning came, I woke up and thought, "Oh yeah, I'm here." It was a good "oh yeah" and a bad "oh yeah" at the same time. Because I also remembered that I didn't have anything here with me.
We packed sandwiches for lunch. But by the time I got to make mine, there was no meat left. It just wasn't my day.
But I tried to be positive, and I made a "Salad Sandwich"!
We went to the Apartheid museum that day. We learned alot about Nelson Mandella and everything that happened leading up to him. And also about the things he did to change what was wrong.
After the museum, we went back to Florida Baptist Church. A few of us played soccer together! It was very very fun! I was, for sure, one of the worst players, but I had a blast anyway.
It was the first time since I'd gotten there that I forgot everything else and was just happy! And having fun! It was great!
Then Scott came up to the game and called me over. He said, "You having fun?"
I smiled really big and said, "Yes!"
Then he said very quietly that he had just heard that they found my luggage!!!!
I was so, so excited! My smile grew and my eyes got big, "When will I get it!?"
He said that it was on its way and would arrive any minute now!
Now, I was really ready. Bring on those Soccer clinics in Dobsonville!!

Coming up next: Soccor Clinics and Loving on Kids: Dobsonville.

No comments: