Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh My Goodness!! Snow!? In SOUTH LOUISIANA!!!

Well, this morning I was woken up at 5:35 AM and I was not ready to get up at all. All I could think was "Why on earth are they waking me up!? This better be good!" As I became more concious and less asleep I realized that Mom and Dad were freaking out about the snow falling outside. So, ya know, I thought that it was just gonna be those regular little "half snow/half rain" flurries that we get every few years. So, when I got to the window, I was like "Okay that's beautiful, but where am I? Cause this is so not Louisiana! And that's not my yard! It's white!" There were big snowflakes falling everywhere! And the yard was already covered in wonderful snowy whiteness that was 4 or 5 inches thick!! And the trees were georgeous! My neighborhood looked more like a Christmas card than South Louisiana!And this was before it was even bright enough see the prettiness! We got dressed (I had a cami, 2 long sleeve shirts, leggings, blue jeans, fuzzy socks, tennis shoes (which anybody who knows me would know that I never where tennis shoes, unless it's unavoidable, and those where unavoidable if I wanted to have un-frost-bitten toes), my white coat, my pink scarf (which has pom-poms and ribbons) and my pink hat). I was quite bundled up! We went outside finally and it had started to brighten up and look a tiny bit more like daytime, instead of the middle of the night! (but, it still mostly looked like night....)

Lydia experimented with making a snow angel on the deck...since none of us had ever done that before:
Look at that snow that's piled on the table next to her!!! And that was before it was even done snowing!!!! Isn't that crazy!?

Here's Nathan trying out snowball making...he picked up on that skill pretty fast. Oh, and he has good aim too. But I'm getting ahead of myself I gotta save that for later...but here's his first attempt at a snowball:
Can't you tell that he's just trying to figure out which one of us he wants to attack first?

Ok, here's the three of us posing. Look at our "winter wonderland" yard! It's so very pretty!

Next, we decided to do something that I have ALWAYS wanted to do. Build a snowman!!!! So, Lydia and I went around to the side of the house next to Dad's boat (by the way, it simply cracked me up to see Dad's boat covered in snow....it just looked like one of the "what's wrong with this picture" things...) So, it appears that there are no pictures of the boat :-(. I would love to share that with ya'll...

Anyhoo...Lydia and I started piling snow into a circular shape and patting it together for awhile. Then, Mom gave us the tip of rolling it in the snow which was supposed to be much quicker and alot more effective. Well, that's how they had always described it in the books, but I had no experience with this, so we tried it and (surprise!) it worked!

Okay, now, you see me and Lydia patting that big huge ball of snow. Well did you know that snow is wet? I guess I did...but it's alot wetter than I expected. And the wet coldness goes right through you gloves and freezes your fingers! So, here in this picture I was enjoying myself immensly, when I forgot to notice my cold fingers...

Also, I have to say that we were certainly not making a snowman we were making a snowgirl. Nathan was making a "Frosty", so when Mom asked me what our snowgirl's name was, I replied without thinking. And our snowgirl ended up with the very creative name of "Frostina"...I know....really original...
So, here's the beginning of Frosty. Nathan was planning on making a huge snowman and I must say that the bottom ball of snow was quite massive oh and I forgot...dirty. Nathan rolled his around to collect snow on it and make it bigger, but he also picked up a bunch of grass and leaves, but he didn't cover his up or pull it off, like me and Lydia did. But I suppose that it's a little appropriate, since Nathan was the one making it...


Well, Lydia and I needed a break, so we walked over to Natalie LaCombe's house. It was so crazy to see all of our neighborhood WHITE! But it was so georgeous (I'm having trouble coming up with enough synonyms for the word "beautiful"...so please forgive me if I use the same words too many times). Oh my gosh! Natalie's yard was SO SO SO pretty! She has a very big yard and it looked so beautiful all smooth and perfect and white. Her trees were lovely too!

Later on in the day, we went for a walk around the neighborhood and got some really great pictures:

Our house! I think it looked so pretty with the snow on the steps and on all the Christmas decorations!
Me and Natalie in front of the house...I love this picture. Oh, and i do believe that that small white speck to the left of Natalie's head is a snowball in motion that Lydia threw, that hit Natalie, soon after this picture was taken...
Here's a pretty yard full of snow!
We took a picture of Grandma-Mona and Pa-Paw's house, since Grandma-Mona and Aunt Lisa are off on a cruise and missed the whole thing!
Honeysuckle Drive...all white and snowy!
And this is the Lumina all covered up with a blanket of snow...
Here's me and the completed "Frostina". Isn't she just darling! I think it's the most adorable snowgirl I ever saw!
And here's Frosty all done, as you can see behind him, the yard was looking a little greener, cause the snow was starting to melt....:-( And, If you notice in the lower right hand corner, that's my pink scarf that Frostina had been wearing, but she actually melted....so she's not there anymore :-(

So, we had a very eventful day, and I think that it's only fair that I explain the snowball situation with Nathan. Above, I mentioned that he had good aim. Well, he was no match for ME!! Well, maybe he was. We might have been pretty evenly matched. We had quite a few fun snowball fights throughout the day. It was enjoyable, I liked running around and throwing stuff at my brother. I got him right in the middle of his face a few times...hee hee. And Natalie, Lydia, and I made some snow angels. It was delightful. Especially, the part when Natalie and Lydia got "attacked" (not really hurt or anything) by Josie, our dog. They were both just screaming their heads off. Ha ha. I was just watching them and laughing cause Josie doesn't mess with me!

As much as I enjoyed the snow, I am glad that I don't live somewhere where it snows like this all the time. It's wet and dirty and yeah, it's alot of fun for a little while, but I like that it only comes every once in a while (a long while...the last time that it snowed like this was before I was born! When Nony and Jade were younger!). I probably wouldn't mind it a little more often than that, but I am sick of it already. It's all melted into muddy mushy slushy stuff that wets you shoes and freezes your toes. So, thank you, Lord for the early Christmas present of snow, but also, thank you that it's only every now and then that this happens!

3 comments:

Claire Stanford said...

Gracie those were great pictures!!!
Now I have to go and post MY pictures. See ya!!!
Claire:-)

Just A Girl said...

Dear Gracie,
Thank you for sending the pictures, and I really like them. If you would take anymore if it snows again. And that's all I wanted to say. Love, Ethan

Rosalie Lillian said...

Cute snowman! =)